Music thread

Bape.

• Administrator

Nah, don't really care for brass instruments. There are some exceptions tho.

I was a drummer, I'm addicted to the beat but I've got range.

Take your pick LOL (wow this got big)

RAP:

(Master of phonetics)

(Busta out-skills em all)

Kanye - Monster (Kanye is a beast)

(Best written rap song I know of)

(She has the best videos)

(modern day Beatles in my eyes)

Soul:

James Brown - Superbad

Chill:

(He's great live)

(JJ is a bad ass)

(I sing it all the time and change the lyrics to my surroundings)

(I've informed several friends this will be my funeral song.)

(I can sing the whole song acapella and have many times.)

Sublime - Gardon Grove

Pop:

(They suck but they were bound to make one song worth listening to.)

(I was blown away the first time I saw this)

Stripper:

Peaches - Fuck the Pain Away (haha, stories...)

Weird:

(I saw these guys live on mushrooms, I swear it was like being sung to by Elmo)

(One of the best live bands on the planet)

Techno:

Benny Benassi - Who's your Daddy? (FUCK YEAH BENNY!)

(FUCK YEAH MOUSE!)

Emo:

Rock:

(Goosebumps)

Korn - Shoots n Ladders

(Best night of my life)

HTDA - The Space in Between

Beautiful:

The Beatles - Within You, Without You

I feel that sums me up pretty well. Lately I've been into club music and old shit like Beyond the Sea lol, strange mix.

Fuck Nickelback, Taylor Swift, Aerosmith, U2, Coldplay, Pussycat Dolls, Lady Gaga, weak-ass fake-shit like that, ew.

Reminds me anyone going to any concerts/shows this summer?

Shows already passed for me are:

Portugal. The Man (i'll post links by them soon)

Childish Gambino

Shad (canadian rapper with ridiculous wordplay)

Arctic Monkeys

Stornoway (brit band, think mumford and sons but a bit more lyrical with heavier british accents)

Shows Coming up:

Stars

Handsome Furs

Black Keys

Streetlight Manifesto

Beirut

Bon Iver

Reminds me anyone going to any concerts/shows this summer?

Shows already passed for me are:

Portugal. The Man (i'll post links by them soon)

Childish Gambino

Shad (canadian rapper with ridiculous wordplay)

Arctic Monkeys

Stornoway (brit band, think mumford and sons but a bit more lyrical with heavier british accents)

Shows Coming up:

Stars

Handsome Furs

Black Keys

Streetlight Manifesto

Beirut

Bon Iver

I got to see Dick Dale last night (my band actually opened for him). He was fucking amazing live and played covers of old blues songs and Johnny Cash. A great live performer, he understands the art of jamming too. I'll also get to open for the Surfaris later this summer. Traditional surf at its best.

Upcoming concerts in my area that I will be attending (and of course they are bands you should listen to):

Off With Their Heads with The Riot Before (two great punk acts)

Kay Kay and his Weathered Underground (Not headlining, but worth it to see them open. Kind of experimental/avante-garde indie music)

Frank Turner with Andrew Jackson Jihad (two of the best folk punk acts)

Streetlight Manifesto is fun live.

that's pretty awesome. i've heard good things about frank turner.

and yeah i've seen streetlight once before already. this time they're touring with reel big fish as well so it's going to be so badass

It's funny how a few years ago I was really into third wave ska but I absolutely hated Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake and Westbound Train. I did however love Streetlight, Catch 22, the Mad Caddies, the Voodoo Glowskulls etc.

If I had to choose one band to reunite for a concert, it would be them. Best use of horns in a punk band ever. Great lyrics too.

favourite is end verse:

No eviction notice still i'm homeless on a poets mission

Not that I'm a fiend stealing bass like Otis Nixon

Livin' on the street naw i'm livin' on the road consistent

Making fans multiply like a coefficient

Record sales im making low comission but the visions mine

They don't change my record like pitchin' a no decision

Guitar playing emcee Yea i'm known for spittin'

While i'm tappin on my fender like cars in a slow collision

The precision of my flows in terms of tone and diction

Is akin to that of the old masters of prose and fiction

So many sold their souls , my soul ambitions

To hold solace so calm and bright as a solar system

I'm from a soul tradition; heads think I'm going to prison

Cause I'm talking bout this rap sheet with the most conviction

ellie goulding is good had a chance to see her live but i couldn't make it.

and @ ryan i know about ofwgta BUT personally i'm not a huge fan. I gave them a chance listening all to all of their stuff and although yeah they're pretty sick with their lyricism i'm kinda tired of the gore gimmic in rap. big l did it and so did wu so this isn't all that new to me. plus i hate the white ass skater/gangster kids that listen to it. erks the shit out of me when they say oh yeah tyler the creator is the best lyricist ever.

can't believe i missed hey momma. it's a really good track. love everything about it. the guy's falsetto is great too!

and skrillex remix is better dust -_-

anyone a fan of the strokes? their new cd isn't that bad.

• Administrator

I listened to everything you guys have posted today while cutting up peppers and mushrooms for alferdo. My opinions in no order:

The Adele remix was sick, I listened to it 3 times.

I torrented the Black Keys.

SHAD has skills and I enjoyed his lyrics and rhythm, however I didn't care for the music as much.

Rike, I already posted Yonkers, you ass. I don't like Earl nearly as much and I only care for about 4 of Tyler's tracks at that. (Including an instrumental.)

I was really enjoying the Point/Counterpoint song until it picked up with what I'm gonna call drunken Irish horns. I guess that's ska? I don't care for that at all, couldn't finish it.

Benny Benassi is the fuckin' shit but that track didn't have his signature sound to it and I didn't care for it as much. He also has much better videos. (Who's your Daddy? and Satisfaction are awesome)

I liked the Ex-Lover is Dead track. Kind of reminded me of this.

I enjoyed the Capdown track as well.

Don't care for the Strokes.

Whichever video was the staircase, I thought that was a good original idea.

Kid's dont Stand a Chance was cool.

I enjoyed Frank Ocean a lot, I will have to torrent him as well.

Didn't like either "Lights" track.

Anything else I didn't comment on was "meh" to me.

Again, all my opinions. I enjoy hearing new shit tho.

I listened to everything you guys have posted today while cutting up peppers and mushrooms for alferdo. My opinions in no order:

The Adele remix was sick, I listened to it 3 times.

I torrented the Black Keys.

SHAD has skills and I enjoyed his lyrics and rhythm, however I didn't care for the music as much.

Rike, I already posted Yonkers, you ass. I don't like Earl nearly as much and I only care for about 4 of Tyler's tracks at that. (Including an instrumental.)

I was really enjoying the Point/Counterpoint song until it picked up with what I'm gonna call drunken Irish horns. I guess that's ska? I don't care for that at all, couldn't finish it.

Benny Benassi is the fuckin' shit but that track didn't have his signature sound to it and I didn't care for it as much. He also has much better videos. (Who's your Daddy? and Satisfaction are awesome)

I liked the Ex-Lover is Dead track. Kind of reminded me of this.

I enjoyed the Capdown track as well.

Don't care for the Strokes.

Whichever video was the staircase, I thought that was a good original idea.

Kid's dont Stand a Chance was cool.

I enjoyed Frank Ocean a lot, I will have to torrent him as well.

Didn't like either "Lights" track.

Anything else I didn't comment on was "meh" to me.

Again, all my opinions. I enjoy hearing new shit tho.

frank ocean's new mixtape ultra, nostalgia is actually creating a huge buzz on the internet cause of how awesome it is. postal service is great thanks for posting that!

and if you liked the adele remix you should check out childish gambino he's really awesome.

here's another black keys post. their videos are so creative i definitely recommend checking them all out.

shad is arguably one of my favourite rappers ever. here's another song by him. such a chill summer song.

any john mayer fans here also? the things he does with a guitar just amazes me. although i do know there are probably a ton of other guitarists who are better I'm just a huge fan of the blues guitar riffs he implements.

and more rap. j.cole another favourite rapper of mine. similar style to a lot of east coast rappers but he's from the west coast and the guy is just great with lyricism. makes most of the beats himself too.

@dustin foals are great! again missed out on seeing them live too :\ and no offense, not a fan of wiz AT ALL he reminds me a lot of what's bad with rap these days, and empire of the sun i've heard of them never gave them a listen they remind me of a more obscure flaming lips haha

@dustin foals are great! again missed out on seeing them live too :\ and no offense, not a fan of wiz AT ALL he reminds me a lot of what's bad with rap these days, and empire of the sun i've heard of them never gave them a listen they remind me of a more obscure flaming lips haha

honestly i didnt really think of wiz all that much when i heard about him a few years ago, but he's grown on me since then. and ya foals are awesome, love the UK bands.

a little folky -_-

chillest song period.

Well fuck you Don! I can't possibly remember every video you posted. I was disappointed by Tyler's full albums. I feel like half of both of them are shitty and he could have really had a great album combining the two good halves of each. I also think he needs some time to grow out of the teenage angst lyricism. But I still think he's great.

I'm glad you picked up a Kay Kay album. They have another one coming out in July i think, but I've downloaded an advance of it. Let me know if you want me to mediafire it for you. I can't wait to see them live.

Empire of the Sun just reminded me of MGMT, who I really don't like. I enjoyed those Foals videos though. You might like Menomena.

If we are going to talk about Mos Def, you have to include Talib Kweli. This is my favorite Kweli track. Mos Def and Talib Kweli also did an album together under the name of Black Star. Go look em up.

I'm also a fan of K'naan. I assume you guys have heard of him? I don't really dig his sophomore album though.

And now for what I'm really into. Don't know what kind of audience this will reach, but I'm big into the punk scene. I won't clog the thread with videos, check the links.

The Menzingers - Time Tables

Some of the vocals might take some getting used to.

I'll wait until the next post to show you guys one of my favorite bands I found out about just last year. I don't want them to get lost in a sea of other links.

you're talking to one of the biggest hiphop heads ever here ryan. of course i've heard of blackstar! their stuff is great. and kweli has a new cd out go get it if you haven't yet. it's called gutter rainbows. also if you're a fan of talib he has a side project with dj hi-tek called reflection eternal they dropped a cd last year called revolutions per minute another pretty solid rap cd of last year.

and WOW never knew you for a k'naan fan. i've seen him live twice (He's really energetic) in the same weekend (i was more going for shad) but MAN the guy blew me away. this is one of my favourite songs by him:

i'm gonna relisten to those links later tonight when i've got time. i have a feeling i might dig the dopamines. also judging by those links are you an aquabats fan by any chance?

Thank you for the Kweli update, I had no clue he had a new album. Picked up both of those.

I have a love-hate relationship with the aquabats. I love them for their novelty and material, but I've grown disinterested in their musical sound. They come through here every year and I've never seen them but a buddy of mine told them they put on a great live performance so I might have to see them next time.

The Dopamines are my favorite from those links I put up in my last post. I went to the Fest last year in Gainesville (huge alternative music festival around halloween) and got to see a lot of fucking great bands and find out about a hell of a lot more.

My favorite dicovery of last year. They're considered New York Trash pop and added a keyboard bassist for their most recent album. Really cool dudes I got to chat with at a show in Tampa. I was pissed though because their shirts were pretty shitty, which is usually the merch I prefer to purchase. One of my favorite singers around right now.

And of course I can't forget the good old folk punk act of Andrew Jackson Jihad. Another amazing live performer.

Look up Andrew Jackson Jihad - Can't Maintain for another good track if you don't enjoy the bus performance.

Sorry, have to add in Franz Nicolay.

I've heard of The Tallest Man On Earth before and I've tried to get into him but I just can't dig it.

I've heard of Andrew Jackson Jihad before. personally i like his acoustic-y stuff more.

the gay blades is interesting to me. i have a feeling it may grow on me. any cd i should look for?

ps. have you ever heard of fucked up? i think you might like them...

The Gay Blades have two albums, both have equal amounts of greatness. Get both.

I have heard of Fucked Up. I need to listen to their newest concept album, but I might be of the opinion that their sound is good enough to make up for how extraordinarily avant-garde they are for a "hardcore" band.

awesome stuff! i'll give them a check. you should do the same with two door they're quality stuff. great cheery summer tunes

and oh recently stumbled upon this band (yesterday actually). and they're quite great. found out they're having a show here in Toronto next week. pretty stoked to see them cause it seems as if their live set is gonna be phenomenal.