"Bart" - the 2.5 ft long isopod from your nightmares

madd-hatter

• Administrator
Think sharks are scary? They're downright cuddly compared to the Bathynomus giganteus, a very terrifying (and very real) sea creature that recently surfaced from the deep.

So, what the heck is it? According to an article from Fox News, the Bathynomus giganteus (henceforth known as "Bart") is a type of giant isopod, "a large crustacean that dwells in deep Atlantic and Pacific waters." It passes the time by feeding on "dead whales, fish, and squid."

Ol' Bart attached itself to a submarine that was exploring the ocean floor. When the sub surfaced, people got an unexpected look at the slithery stowaway. The creature is a pinkish in color, two and a half feet long.

Full article @ Yahoo.

969959414_793ac555ef.jpg

969104893_0c5c546408.jpg

I'm not scared of a lot of things, but bugs seem so alien to me that, despite their size, they make me cringe.

I know it's not scientifically a "bug", but it's pretty much a large sea bug. A really fucking ugly large sea bug.

Just imagine it crawling up your bed, on your blanket, and planting itself on your face.

lol AHHHH!

Go wiki that shit. People in Taiwan eat those things and some people keep them in aquariams.

Camel spiders freak me out more.

I have yet to see one being served there, but I wouldn't doubt it LOL.

Who knows, a big ass roley poley of the sea may taste good. I like crabs which are basically sea spiders and I fuckin hate spiders.

Go wiki that shit. People in Taiwan eat those things and some people keep them in aquariams.

Camel spiders freak me out more.

I have yet to see one being served there, but I wouldn't doubt it LOL.

Who knows, a big ass roley poley of the sea may taste good. I like crabs which are basically sea spiders and I fuckin hate spiders.

That is fucking disgusting. Wikipedia apparently says all the Afghan/Iraq stuff is BS though and these are only 5 in. 5 in is still too damn big for a spider IMO.

If I saw that anywhere around me I would shoot it.

I would attempt to have sex with it. It must have a vagina. Definitely a girl bug. So being thats the case, it should be made love to often, as should all females because they are pieces of meat that should not be respected.

that last pic is the vagina. it has oral sex.

I'm still hoping there are a few megalodons out there...

Why?

Because it would show how little we (humans) really know about the planet.

They keep finding shit they think is extinct.. there could still be some megalodons, but highly doubt it

although they did find coelocanths in Africa after they were thought to be extinct.

Why?

I was just shittin ya. It's amazing that the technology to put a man on mars is coming to fruition, yet we can't come to a full realization about whats under our own waters. It seems that if humans expend a great deal of money exploring the ocean, its usually in order to find more oil.

• Administrator

Why?

I was just shittin ya. It's amazing that the technology to put a man on mars is coming to fruition, yet we can't come to a full realization about whats under our own waters. It seems that if humans expend a great deal of money exploring the ocean, its usually in order to find more oil.

The technology to put a man on mars was coming to fruition ... until our glorious elected officials decided to cut NASA funding.

Do people forget how large of an impact the "space race" had on this country?

Why?

The technology to put a man on mars was coming to fruition ... until our glorious elected officials decided to cut NASA funding.

I assure you if mars, the moon or any other celestial body was known to contain oil deposits, the race would be on. We've spent vastly more on this "war" in Iraq than we would need to fully fund our space program for a number of years. Capitalism dictates that money making ventures have precedent. There is no cash crop known to exist on other planets, so we elect instead to spend our money killing brown people because of the extraordinary return we receive on said investments.

The space race of the 60's was a goal without tangible returns. Bragging rights and a foul notion of national pride was all that was at stake then. "Hey, we made it to the moon. Now what?" Hell grab a few rocks, some dust, stick that there flag in the moon and we win. Capitalism 1 Communism 0. There was no return on that investment that could benefit capitalism, so the shit got dropped. NASA is allowed a great deal of money to expend, but not necessarily on planetary exploration. Rather, its about satellites, surveillance and defense, the procurement of power. All tied in with multi-billion dollar contracts with various defense and aerospace corporations.

In short, the issue with going to mars is, no one else gives a shit (speaking of other nations) and there is no money to be made on friggin mars. We see oil a squirting out of the ground, bet your ass we get there in 2 years time.

• Administrator

Why?

I assure you if mars, the moon or any other celestial body was known to contain oil deposits, the race would be on. We've spent vastly more on this "war" in Iraq than we would need to fully fund our space program for a number of years. Capitalism dictates that money making ventures have precedent. There is no cash crop known to exist on other planets, so we elect instead to spend our money killing brown people because of the extraordinary return we receive on said investments.

The space race of the 60's was a goal without tangible returns. Bragging rights and a foul notion of national pride was all that was at stake then. "Hey, we made it to the moon. Now what?" Hell grab a few rocks, some dust, stick that there flag in the moon and we win. Capitalism 1 Communism 0. There was no return on that investment that could benefit capitalism, so the shit got dropped. NASA is allowed a great deal of money to expend, but not necessarily on planetary exploration. Rather, its about satellites, surveillance and defense, the procurement of power. All tied in with multi-billion dollar contracts with various defense and aerospace corporations.

In short, the issue with going to mars is, no one else gives a shit (speaking of other nations) and there is no money to be made on friggin mars. We see oil a squirting out of the ground, bet your ass we get there in 2 years time.

The space race helped us develop one of the most important pieces of technology ever.

Microchip anyone?

The space race helped us develop one of the most important pieces of technology ever.

Microchip anyone?

An invention that was patented by a toy maker. Texas Instruments, makers of the technological break threw, the Speak'n'Spell, conceived this bit of technology in the pursuit of better, smaller calculators. I'm not going to argue that the space race didn't conceive many innovations. As it most certainly did.

The point I'm making is that there will be no Space Race II until someone strikes the riches of another planets resources. Go ahead and believe that the funding NASA receives is to find life on distant rocks, as that is not the case. Those rovers are looking for deposits and resources which would allow capitalism to excuse the expense in lew of a high yield return for profit. The scientists, bound by secrecy, are willing to play along so that they may make discoveries that are far more interesting to mankind, but have no real cash value. Give and take.

• Administrator

Microchip anyone?

An invention that was patented by a toy maker. Texas Instruments, makers of the technological break threw, the Speak'n'Spell, conceived this bit of technology in the pursuit of better, smaller calculators. I'm not going to argue that the space race didn't conceive many innovations. As it most certainly did.

The point I'm making is that there will be no Space Race II until someone strikes the riches of another planets resources. Go ahead and believe that the funding NASA receives is to find life on distant rocks, as that is not the case. Those rovers are looking for deposits and resources which would allow capitalism to excuse the expense in lew of a high yield return for profit. The scientists, bound by secrecy, are willing to play along so that they may make discoveries that are far more interesting to mankind, but have no real cash value. Give and take.

I agree that there has to be motivation to reach out into space, but I think the prospect of "striking it rich" should be enough of said motivation.

Is no one willing to take risks anymore?

If you want to put money into space, put it into the militarization of space. Who gives a shit about furthering knowledge if you can launch a missile from Mars or destroy world communications through satellites launching rockets...

But I agree the sea is an awesome place. I want someone to capture a live giant squid and put it on display. Those things are awesome.

If you want to put money into space, put it into the militarization of space. Who gives a shit about furthering knowledge if you can launch a missile from Mars or destroy world communications through satellites launching rockets...

But I agree the sea is an awesome place. I want someone to capture a live giant squid and put it on display. Those things are awesome.

i'd be scared as fuck.

i saw pirates of the caribbean, that shit was no joke.

i'd be scared as fuck.

true story.

They should catch keira knightly instead and put her on display.

i'd be scared as fuck.

true story.

They should catch keira knightly instead and put her on display.

lol.

• 3 weeks later...